Total Pageviews

Pageviews last month

Friday 22 August 2014

Teaching? Or Spoon Feeding ?! :-))



Dear parents,

The above proverb images and what I'm going to share with you all has so much in common. I came across a wonderful program on television. I had to share it with you all. Many of you may not agree with me for the moment, but as time goes by you might see the reality behind this.

Years together, I've been teaching my kids the basics and once they got the hang of it, I'd urge them to write the summary or tell it orally to me and then attempt the answers in their own words. It would never be a carbon copy or a word by word repetition of what has been taught at school.

I'm not an expert, but the TV program opened my eyes. The expert had a view that sitting with kids when they study is OK in the first few years, maybe up to class 7, but as they go to higher classes, one must encourage them to follow a timetable and help only when they ask for it.

This doesn't mean we as parents have to give up on them completely, but show our support and care whenever / wherever required. This is so because when we sit with them and spoon feed them, we are stamping our ideas on their minds and not encouraging independent thinking.

Like I said, I too have been doing the same till now, and would really have a hard time not interfering or give my opinion, but I think its time to let my kid go and help him grow wings. If he falls, he knows whom to turn for support, but let him fall, I must, then only he'll learn the joys of flying on his own. Which actions are to be avoided and which ones to be repeated.

I sincerely hope, you all might understand this phase of mine as a parent and even if you don't agree with me on this, as I didn't a few weeks before, we all will see the light in the end.

Everyone's friend,
Lakshmi. :-))

P.S. If you've already been through this phase of letting go, please share your inputs with me, Please.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment