Total Pageviews

Pageviews last month

Wednesday 11 March 2015

TURMERIC! :-))

Turmeric, the word itself is enough to take me down memory lane. The smell is heavenly! Mom used to add it to the gravies and side dishes generously, when asked would say, "because, it kills all germs!" Yes! It does! It is an ANTISEPTIC, ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, ANTI-OXIDANT, IMMUNITY BOOSTER, SKIN TONER, among many other things.

Turmeric is called हल्दी (Haldi) in Hindi, மஞ்சள் / Manjal in Tamizh, മഞ്ഞള  in (Malayalam) and పసుపు  (pasupu) in Telugu! These are the only languages I know as of now! :-)))

It is an underground stem. It has an ingredient called curcumin which gives it is healthy properties. Turmeric is bright yellow in colour. Turmeric is rich in dietary fibre, potassium, magnesium, iron and vitamin B6. A wonderful thing about it is that it is non-calorific and contains roughly about 24 calories in 1 teaspoon! :-))) It adds colour and flavour when used in cooking. Almost every housewife in India must be using it in every salty and spicy dish.

As I entered teenage, the hormone reared its ugly head and started giving me nightmares with bodily, especially facial hair. Though, my mother was always in favour of using turmeric paste, I found it too messy, time-consuming and uncomfortable and also the after pack colour that it left on the face! :-( So I happily reached out to all the hair removing creams, bleach etc. Now in my middle age, I find that mother has indeed been right, yes the process would have been slow but it would also have been less harmful!

Now turmeric is used in my country that is India in almost all auspicious functions. In south, we make little un shapely Ganeshas out of turmeric paste and worship it. In weddings, the bride and in some other cultures, the groom too is smeared with turmeric paste before taking bath or at least the water to be used is sprinkled with turmeric for the very reason that it is anti bacterial! Sometimes, the paste also contains certain other skin enhancing materials like Chandan (Sandalwood), Neem (Azadirachta Indica)! All these are very good in rectifying skin problems and sorry for repeating, anti-bacterial!

Before wearing any new dress my mother used to smear it with turmeric paste, only a little, otherwise it would've stained the cloth! Now, I understand, the reason behind that! My country is huge and lot many people live in it. Who knows how many hands might have caressed that dress before it finally landed on my lap! Hence the turmeric treatment!

In the olden days, when someone visited a person who had contracted a contagious fever / disease, they were asked to wash their feet with turmeric water before entering and after leaving the house.

Even now, in temples, turmeric / its paste is given as prashad! My country gets very hot during summer and hence people take turmeric bath to keep away sweaty odour and also to keep skin allergies at bay.

After delivering my kids, I was asked to take turmeric bath daily. I didn't understand its significance then, but as the months went by, I could see a significant change in skin tone and since then I've been a fan of turmeric. I make it a point to use it in my weekly face pack. It goes like this:

Besan / Gram Flour                          - 2 tsps.
Milk / Cream / Curd                         - 4 teaspoons
Turmeric                                           - 1 or 2 pinch (es)

Depending upon the skin type milk, cream or curd could be used. Its excellent, clears skin, removes tan and tones the skin and if used regularly gets rid of soft facial hair! :-)))

Now researchers have found that cancer is effective in curing CANCER! If a warm glass of water to which 1 teaspoon of turmeric is added, is had daily in the morning on an empty stomach, cures the body of many diseases and also detoxifies! :-))) It helps in weight - loss and other obesity related problems!
During my childhood, whenever I had cough, my mother used to give me a glass of hot milk sprinkled with turmeric, now I know it soothes the cough-suffered throat!

I see many Telugu houses and have seen some houses in my native place Tamil Nadu too, where ladies apply a coat of turmeric paste every Friday or before festivals, near the house entrance. Now I know, it prevents pests like ants, spiders etc. from entering the household! :-))) Hence, turmeric is a great PESTICIDE too!

It is used to dye clothes. Clothes especially white ones are dyed in turmeric water before weddings and other life-altering auspicious functions. It is a symbol of purity, prosperity and fertility!

In temples the idols of Gods are bathed in turmeric water, this process is called Abhishekam.

It is not to be used by pregnant women, yes maybe, but with caution, excessive use may increase the time of blood clotting, which is important in case of injuries.

Well! Everything has a POSITIVE as well as a NEGATIVE side to it. I just felt like sharing information about turmeric with my family, which comprises everyone on this planet and also give all a peek into my Kalachaaram / Culture.


SO MY VOTE GOES TO TURMERIC!

Everyone's friend,

Lakshmi! :-)))

Some pics are given below:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment