Total Pageviews

Pageviews last month

Saturday 7 March 2015

EXAMS!

EXAMS! As a kid my parents were never under pressure with my examinations neither was I under such tremendous pressure! My childhood was a breeze! :-))) My school started in the last week of June! The season of rains. My father was in the defence, so I and my brother went to school by a truck! Sadly there weren't enough seats, but nevertheless we learned to defy gravity via the sudden brakes!

There would be no space in the front where it would be well ventilated, especially during summers as all of us would want some respite from the hot air and it would be completely unoccupied during winters and all the cold wind would be freely available! :-))).

The exam system was something like 4 unit tests and two exams! The first two unit tests would be over by October and the next two in Jan & March. The first exam or the half-yearly exam would be conducted in December and the Annual Examinations would be conducted in April. After that a brief holiday of 10-15 days would be given and the results would be announced in the first week of May. We were lucky enough to get almost a good two monthly vacation. There would be no holiday homework and also the next class or session would start in June only.


But my kids aged 13 & 9 have been have been having classes immediately after the exams, there would be a gap of only 10 days between the starting of the next session and the exams! After which they are given a 1 @ 1/2 month vacation. Not that I'm complaining, but I'd be happy for all the kids if they could have a long homework-free, two-monthly vacation like my generation! They do get lots of holidays thanks to all the festivals in our country, but it is really tiring picking them up during the hot summer season, especially during the first session conducted in April.

As a kid I too had to carry a heavy load of bag, that was stuffed with books and notes. Also I had to study from the first chapter to the last during the Annual exams, at least my kids don't have that! But, since the education department has lessened that kind of burden, I think they can also print two separate books for each term. That's because I want to see my and other kids walk tall as adults. WHY................. I fear that because of the heavy load they'll grow up with a twisted spine!

There is something called a second and third language system in schools. I think children are smart enough to learn new languages and most of them do it with ease, I see no point in kids as well as parents like me and others being burdened to learn this as a compulsion. It is my humble opinion that either lots of languages are provided as an option or it should be made mandatory and some other subjects are introduced. I don't know exactly what those are! But, I sincerely hope that this situation changes at least when my grandkids attend school! :-)))

Like Gandhi ji said, an education or course that helps a person earn his / her livelihood should also be considered in schools! Some years ago, when PCs were becoming a part of every sphere of our lives, I imagined school kids carrying just laptops (now I-pads). That hasn't materialized yet. Digital screens replacing blackboards and so on...

Whatever technological inventions that we are enjoying today, is only because someone dared to dream the impossible and worked hard towards making it a possibility. I HOPE! I PRAY! I DREAM!

For a stress free childhood and stress free parenting too!

Everyone's friend,

Lakshmi! :-)))

No comments:

Post a Comment