Total Pageviews

Pageviews last month

Friday 6 March 2015

GANESHA!

Ganesha, the name itself evokes many sweet memories. In Hindusim, we have many forms of the same GOD! The scriptures or the Vedas, say that GOD is formless, can't be fit into a particular gender, caste, or anything else either. If we say NOTHING! we can't comprehend that, but that's what GOD has been described as MAHASHUNYA! Recently, researchers have also revealed that our Universe didn't form after a BIG BANG! There was nothing before it was, the Universe just came into being.

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND THAT! Likewise if I'm and score of others like me are not given a particular form of GOD, it would be quite difficult to comprehend! (I SUPPOSE!) GOD is everywhere, in everything or everyone, animal, human and the list goes on. The Vedas agree on that and that's why Hindus worship, Earth, Rivers, certain plants and trees, books, tools, the five elements and the list goes on..... I've still got to learn that! :-))

Coming back to Ganesha, he is the son of Lord Shiva (One of the trinities) and Goddess Parvathi! He was born with a human like head. He was guarding the chambers of Goddess Parvathi, when Lord Shiva tried to get in her chambers, but was prevented by Ganesha. Shiva got angry and cut off Ganesha's head with his trident! Parvathi was grief stricken and wanted her son back! So Ganesha's head was reinstated with an elephant's ! From then on, he has a human body and an elephant's head!

As a kid, while doing my daily prayers, my mother would show me a picture of Ganesha and tell me that he was a very friendly GOD and one could initiate him immediately. All one needed was unshaken faith and belief! As a kid, I never understood GOD, but with time, I saw a good friend, with whom I could share all my thoughts! This may sound a bit odd, but even now I have these small (sometimes long!) conversations with GOD. My day starts with a humble prayer that goes like this:

त्वमेव माता च, पिता त्वमेव।  त्वमेव बन्धुश्च सखा त्वमेव।
त्वमेव विद्या द्रविणम्  त्वमेव, त्वमेव सर्वं मम  देवदेव।

अन्यथा शरणं  नास्ति त्वमेव शरणं  मम 
तस्मात् कारुण्य भावेन  रक्ष रक्ष जनार्दन 

The first shloka means that : You are my mother, father, relative and friend, You are knowledge and all the wealth in the world, in fact you are everything to me O Lord!

The second one means that : I have no one else to go, you are my only refuge, so, kindly take me into your protection, O Lord!

One about Lord Ganesha:

वक्रतुंड महाकाय सूर्य कोटि समप्रभ निर्विघ्नं कुरु में देव सर्वकार्येषु सर्वदा 

Meaning: O lord with a twisted trunk, huge form, with the effulgence of a crore Suns, kindly bless all the work I undertake be free of any obstacles.

This shloka also reveals that Ganesha is an obstacle remover and hence is worshipped the first and foremost before undertaking any work.

ஐந்து கரத்தானை , ஆனை  முகத்தானை, இந்திந்திளம் பிறை போலும் எயிற்றானை 
நந்தி மகன்தனை ஞானக் கொழுதினை , புந்தியில் வைத்தடி போற்றுகின்றேனே .

I do talk my mother tongue, ie Tamil very well, but this verse is in Literary form and hence I couldn't translate into a lucid form, Hence I've just reproduced someone else's translation below:


                                        We emplace in our minds
The sacred feet of the One
The embodiment of wisdom
The five handed
Elephant Visaged- with tusks
Curved like the crescent moon
The son of the Supreme Siva.
 
 
Everyone's friend,
 
Lakshmi! :-)))

No comments:

Post a Comment