Total Pageviews

Pageviews last month

Thursday 17 July 2014

English

Dearies,

Today's topic would be gerunds. Now, I am not an expert, but let me share what I read and learnt. Gerund is a non-finite verb that ends with an "ing". It doesn't do the work of a verb but can be the subject of a sentence, subject of a verb or object of a preposition.

Like,

1. Playing tennis is my passion. In this sentence, playing functions as a gerund.

2. He doesn't like cooking. Here, cooking is the gerund.

3. She is fond of buying jewellery. Here again buying is the gerund.

Now the key is to identify the verb in these sentences. In 1, "is" is the verb, in 2, like and in 3, fond. (Please correct me, if I'm wrong.)

I do use these in conversation, but when asked about the grammar bit I don't know really. Now, that my son needs my help, I'm learning in order to teach him and you all as well. So, I'm a newbie too.

Present Participle is the "ing" form of verb. Now, the difference between this and gerund is that though both end in "ing", gerund doesn't do the job of a verb, whereas participle does.

If it comes at the beginning of a sentence, it is called a "participal phrase". (Phrases don't make any sense on their own.)

Past participle ends in "ed, en, d, t or n". They're usually paired with has / have / had.

Participles also function as "Adjectives".

Note to parents: If you want your kid to learn a new language, converse at least an hour in it daily (with them, OF COURSE!).. Give them books to read in that language, or while watching movies in that language, use it as "Edutainment".

LRS :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment